The requirement to replace the horse drawn milk carts in London became an increasing necessity with the need to be more efficient and overcome the shortage of cart horses. The electric three wheeled design was chosen for being quiet, low running costs and could turn in a cul-de-sac in one manoeuvre.
Production of the W & E Electric milk float started in 1947 utilising aluminium for the bodywork. During the early 1960s glass fibre became the new material for low production runs of mouldings for the vehicle industry.
With a ready market Shrewsbury Plastics & Engineering Ltd commenced manufacturing the cabs and roofs and other mouldings for these vehicles, first in an old foundry and then later in a purpose built factory on the present site. Since 1964 the original building has been developed with a further three buildings for production and storage.
The company diversified into building cladding, motorway bridge fascia system (patented), chemical plant (tanks, vats, fume canopies, fume stacks, insulated jam containers etc). In 1975 the ‘onion shaped’ SPEL Septic tank was produced and attained the company’s first Agrément Certificate in 1977.
In 1989 the company became specialists in filament wound underground tanks for many uses. Today the plant has modern ‘state of the art’ filament winding and computerised robotic moulding and end dome machines for fast, quality assured production.